Deed tax is imposed on each deed by which any real property in Minnesota is granted, assigned, transferred or otherwise conveyed.
- Deed tax applies against the net consideration
- The tax amount is determined by multiplying .0033 times the consideration amount.
- If the considerations is $500 or less, the minimum deed tax is $1.65.
- The deed tax must be paid at the time of recording the document.
Deeds Subject to Deed Tax
- Warranty Deeds
- Quitclaim Deeds
- Deeds to set up Joint Tenancy or Tenancy in Common
- Deeds to Terminate Joint Tenancy or Tenancy in Common
- Deeds for the Exchange of Property
- Deeds in Lieu of Foreclosure
- Deeds for the Assignment of Sheriff's Certificate of Sale
- Deeds for the Sale from an Estate by a Personal Representative
- Deeds conveying ownership by Eminent Domain through Negotiation
- Deeds for Gifted Property
- Corrective Deeds
- Deeds for Severed Mineral Rights
- Deeds for Standing Timber
- Certificates of Redemption: Creditors
- State Deeds for Tax-Forfeited Land
Deeds Exempt from Deed Tax
- Deeds to or from the federal government of any agency or instrumentality thereof
- Deeds between the parties to a marriage dissolution pursuant to the terms of the dissolution decree.
- Deeds conveying a cemetery lot or lots.
- Deeds by a personal representative distributing the decedent's property according to the terms of the will or probate court order.
- Deeds between co-owners partitioning their undivided interest in the same piece of property.
- Deeds or other instrument of conveyance issued pursuant to a permanent school fund land exchange under MS 92.121 and related laws.
- Deeds or other instrument which grants, creates, modifies, or terminates an easement