Foster Care Licensing

Sibley County provides licensing for both Child Foster Care and Adult Foster Care.

Child Foster Care is a safe place to be if a child cannot live with their own family or on their own. Adult Foster Care assists men and women, 18 years of age and older, who are unable to live alone but want to live in a family setting.

Adult Foster Care provides a housing option for men and women, ages 18 years of age or older, who are unable to live on their own but would like to live in a family atmosphere. It is an opportunity for an adult who needs support to live as independent as possible. Adult Foster Care provides homes for persons with mental health issues, developmental disabilities, physical disabilities and the elderly.

What Providers Do

  • 24-hour care
  • A Bedroom
  • A caring, stable family environment that allows for sharing activities and household responsibilities
  • Guidance and help with responsibilities
  • Meals
  • Supervision, emotional support and protection

Additionally, foster care providers may offer residents help with medication, personal care, doctor's appointments, or other tasks. Foster homes are typically family-sized homes that care for up to 4 qualifying adults. The home can be operated by a family or an individual. It may also be operated by a corporation or business partner. If you are interested in becoming a licensed adult foster care provider, please contact Sibley County Public Health and Human Services.

Child Foster Care

Child foster care provides a safe and temporary home setting for children who cannot remain with their birth families. On a daily basis, a foster parent provides the child with food, clothing, shelter, and emotional support while the child works on reunification with their birth family. There are different types of child foster care in Sibley County.

Foster care is often temporary and the child usually continues to visit their birth family while they work at reuniting. While the child is out of the home, Social Services works at providing services and resources to aide in reuniting. If this is not possible, family members and other people important in the child's life are contacted to provide a permanent home setting. Occasionally foster parents are asked to provide permanent foster care, accept a transfer of legal custody, or adopt the child in their care.

If you are interested in becoming a foster parent of would like more information, please contact Sibley County Public Health and Human Services.