- Public Health & Human Services
- Public Health
- Breast & Cervical Cancer Screening
Breast & Cervical Cancer Screening
The Sage Screening Program (formerly the Minnesota Breast and Cervical Cancer Control Program) is a statewide comprehensive breast and cervical cancer screening program.
The following services are free of charge to eligible women at participating facilities across the state.
- Office visit for breast and/or cervical exam
- Screening mammogram (breast exam required)
- Pap smear
- Office visit for breast or cervical services (e.g. for exam or results counseling)
- Diagnostic mammogram
- Fine needle aspiration of breast lump, including pathology reading
- Colposcopy, including biopsy
- Endometrial Biopsy (when done as a follow-up for a Sage-covered Pap with abn. results of Endometrial cells or Adenocarcinoma)
- High Risk HPV Panels (when done as a follow-up for a MBCCCP-covered Pap with ASCUS results)
- Breast ultrasound
- Breast biopsy (with prior arrangement)
Note: Treatment for non-insured, Sage patients can be covered by the MA-BC Program.
Women who meet all three criteria are eligible:
- Age 40 or older (see exception below)*
- Have no insurance or are underinsured**
- Income within guidelines.
* The Sage Program recognizes that there are some situations where services are indicated in younger women. If a woman is determined by a clinician to be at elevated risk for breast cancer, Sage will cover her office visit and mammogram. If further follow-up is needed, the woman could also have a diagnostic mammogram, breast ultrasound, or outpatient breast biopsy.
** Underinsured includes: Insurance that does not cover screening or insurance with unmet deductibles or copayments. Women on Medicare where there are uncovered expenses associated with the visit, Pap, or mammogram. Women that are on either MinnesotaCare or Medical Assistance are not eligible for Sage (because both cover these screening services).
For more information call 888-643-2584.