Child Support

What is Child Support and what can the Child Support Unit help you with?

Child Support is the financial obligation of a parent who is not living with their child(ren). The Child Support Unit can assist with:

  • Locating the noncustodial parent;
  • Establishing paternity;
  • Establishing or changing orders for child support, medical support and child care support;
  • Enforcing support obligations;
  • Collecting current and past-due support.

The Child Support Unit cannot help with issues related to custody or visitation of a child(ren).

How do I apply for Child Support Services and what does it cost?

You can apply for Child Support services whether you are on public assistance or not. Applications may be mailed to you, picked up at the Agency, or found here: Application Link. After the application has been completed, an appointment will be scheduled for you to come in and meet with someone from the Child Support Unit. There is no application fee but may be some small cost recovery fees.

How do I find out payment information?

You can get information about payments online or by telephone. To get this information, you will need a Personal Identification Number (PIN). If you don’t have a PIN, call your Child Support Worker and ask for one. Your worker will mail it to you.

To obtain current information, click here. If you prefer to use the telephone, payment information can be obtained by calling:

(651) 215-5630 Twin Cities Metro Area
(800) 657-3954 Outside the Metro Area