Military Discharges

Effective January 1, 2004: Military discharge papers are considered private data pursuant to Minnesota Statute 196.08. You will need to fill out a form showing tangible interest before a copy of the military discharge can be released. 

After and individual separates from military service, they receive a DD-214 (military separation form). The military service organizations strongly suggest recording the form with your county Recorder's Office to ensure easy availability of a certified copy of this document if the original were to become lost or destroyed.  Upon recording of the DD-214, the county Recorder's Office will furnish free certified copies to an person who shows a tangible interest.

As a courtesy to military personnel, the county Recorder's Office does not charge for the recording of the DD-214 forms.  If you have lost or misplaced your military separation form and need a certified copy, and you did not record your DD-214 form in your county Recorder's Office, you need to contact your local branch if the Veteran's Administration for assistance. Our office only has records of DD-214 form that have been submitted to us for recording. 

If you have any questions, please visit the Sibley County Veteran Services page or contact Lisa Klenk at 507-237-4090