Transient Merchant License

Anyone who engages in any temporary or transient business, locally or traveling place to place, within Sibley County is required to obtain a Transient Merchant License.

The term "transient merchant" does not include a seller or exhibitor in a firearms collector show involving two or more sellers or exhibitors.

The license is valid at one sale location only and not valid for more than one person, unless that person is a member of a co-partnership. The license is only valid in Sibley County.

Fees: $150


Transient Merchant Application

Application to Fix Bond for Transient Merchant License

Certificate of Compliance MN Worker's Compensation Law


A surety bond in a sum of not less than $1,000 or more than $3,000, submitted to the Sibley County Auditor-Treasurer.


Itemized list of merchandise to be offered for sale, listing a description of each item, serial number (as applicable), actual cost, and designation by number corresponding with a number to be affixed to each items by a tag (kept fastened to item at all times until sale).


A copy of the seller's permit as issued under Minnesota Statute 297A.83 or written statement from applicant stating that applicant is not offering for sale any item that is taxable under Chapter 297A.

Apply by Mail:

Complete and send applications, bond certificate, and applicable fees to:

Sibley County Auditor-Treasurer's Office                                                                                                                     Attn:  Transient Merchant License                                                                                                                                     400 Court Ave                                                                                                                                                                               PO Box 51                                                                                                                                                                                       Gaylord, MN  55334

Checks payable to: Sibley County Auditor-Treasurer

For more information please refer to Minnesota Statute 329 and Minnesota Statute 297A.83.