Permit Application Process

Faxon Township and Jessenland Township have their own Planning and Zoning Commission.                                                                                       Important!  If your property is located in Faxon or Jessenland Township, you must first contact them regarding any zoning items prior to applying for anything with the County.

  • Faxon Township Planning & Zoning Commission
    Jim Baumann
    22375 Crahan Lane
    Belle Plaine, MN 56011
    (952) 873-2514 
  • Jessenland Township Planning & Zoning Commission
    (click to follow link to Jessenland Township Planning & Zoning website)
    Martha Wavrin
    P.O. Box 26
    Belle Plaine, MN 56011
    (507) 248-3639 

Green Isle Township has their own additional zoning ordinances.                                                                                                                                             Important!  If your property is located in Green Isle Township, you must first contact them regarding any zoning items prior to applying for anything with the County. 

  • Green Isle Township
    Gary Burdorf
    (507) 964-5815 

Note:  Sibley County Zoning is not responsible for administering planning and zoning within the 7 Cities.  If you are looking for permits and you are located in a City (not a Township), please contact the City for more information on their process.

Permit Application Process

  • Land Use Application
  • Setback Certificate
  • Variance Application
  • Conditional Use Application
  • Rezoning Application
  • Platting Application

Either stop in-person to the zoning office or follow the below steps to begin the application process for any of the above items.

  1. The owner/applicant will fill out the Zoning Request Form (PDF) and return it to the  Zoning Department or email Zoning.
    • The owner/applicant can call the Zoning Administrator (507) 237-4091 for assistance in filling out the form.                                        This is not the official application. There is no fee due at this step.
  2. The Zoning Administrator will review the request form typically within 1 week. If all the necessary information is provided, the proper application will be prepared according to the information provided on the request form. The applicant will then be notified to come into the Property Assessing and Zoning Office to sign the application and pay the applicable fee.
    • The Property Owner's signature is required on the application.
  3. Upon receiving the property owner's signature and fee, Sibley County Zoning will issue the land use application or setback certificate OR work with the owner/applicant to arrange the necessary meeting for a public hearing if required.

Forms and Applications

Visit the Septic Page for information on the septic application process.