Filing for Office
Candidate Qualifications & Requirements
All candidates wishing to filing for office in the State of Minnesota must:
- be eligible to vote in Minnesota
- have not filed for another office at the upcoming primary or general election
- be at least 21 years of age upon assuming office
- have maintained residence in their district for at least 30 days before the general election
- complete an Affidavit of Candidacy
- pay respective filing fees or present a Petition in Place of Filing Fee as allowed by statute
- complete and file Campaign Finance Reports
Candidate Filing Information
Candidates file for office with a filing officer. A filing fee or Petition in Place of Filing Fee and an Affidavit of Candidacy must be submitted at the time of filing. There are different filing officers for each type of office being sought.
Candidates for County Commissioner, County Auditor-Treasurer, County Recorder, County Sheriff, County Attorney and Soil and Water Supervisor must file with the Sibley County Auditor-Treasurer at the Courthouse in Gaylord (400 Court Ave).
Candidates for Mayor, Council Member, and other elected city offices must file with the city clerk.
Candidates for Town Clerk, Town Supervisor, and Town Treasurer must file with the town clerk.
School District Offices
Candidates for School Board Member must file with the school district clerk.
Candidate Filing Periods
Before a general election, there is a two-week filing period during which candidates can submit their affidavit of candidacy to the filing officer. Prospective candidates should contact the filing officer to learn which offices will be on the ballot at the upcoming election—some offices may only be up for election every two, three, four, or six years. Special elections to fill vacancies may have filing periods of different lengths.
2024 Early Filing Period
Filing for Federal, State, Judicial, and County Offices opens May 21, 2024 and closes at 5pm on June 4, 2024.
2024 Late Filing Period
Filing for City, Township (other than Green Isle Township), and School District Offices opens July 30, 2024 and closes at 5pm on August 13, 2024.